What does this mean for me? How can I comply?
Industrial and commercial businesses must not allow the water released during a 5-year Fire Sprinkler Certification to flow into the storm drain system and/or receiving waters such as a creek or lake, nor should it drain into the sewer system.

You can comply by ensuring that your business does not discharge this water into the storm drain or sewer system.

One way to comply could be contacting a waste management disposal company that, for a fee, will contain the water and discharge it to a legal discharge station. The City of Poway does not recommend or endorse any specific company, nor does it charge any additional fees.

There may be other solutions, and the city is open to other ideas that still maintain compliance. Please call 858-668-4653 if you have any questions or would like additional information.

Show All Answers

1. What's the problem with fire sprinkler flushing?
2. What is allowed into storm drains? What happens when water is discharged from a fire sprinkler system?
3. What does this mean for me? How can I comply?
4. Whom can I contact to ask questions or report illegal dumping?