Lake Poway will be closed to fishing and boating from January 27 until noon February 1st for the Youth Fishing Derby!!! Youths, 15 and younger, can fish February 1st starting at 6 AM after they have received their wristband.
|Adults (16 to 54)||$7|
|Youth (8 to 15)||$3|
|Youth (7 and under)||Free with paid permit|
|Seniors (55 and older)||$3|
|Active Military (with ID)||$4|
Free Trout Fishing Seminar at Lake Poway
Saturdays: January 11th, February 8th, and March 14th 2020
Come learn from the experts. This seminar is geared toward beginners and first time anglers. Free for all ages! The seminar will cover; basic fishing techniques, bait types, equipment. No registration is required and no equipment is needed.
The Seminar begins promptly at 8 am at the Lake Poway Pavilion. For more information call 858-668-4772 or email LakeRangers@poway.org.
This year is the 25th Annual Youth Fishing Derby!
Fishing, prizes, entertainment, games, bounce houses, a free barbecue lunch and more! Join the City of Poway, February 1, for an exciting day of fun and prizes at the FREE 25th Annual Youth Fishing Derby! Freshly stocked with rainbow trout, the lake will be open only to youth ages 15 and younger from 6:00 AM-12:00 PM. Winners must be present to claim prizes at the awards ceremony, which is scheduled to begin at 1:00 PM.
*Participants must check-in at the registration tables to receive their wristbands before fishing that morning.*
Delicious food and coffee will be available from these Food Trucks: Rush Coffee, The Go-Go Truck and Molten Waffles.
Sponsored by Friends of Rollo
Music generously donated by The Metric System-DJ Danny
Information: (858) 668-4772.
A California State License is not required.
Whether your preference is shoreline fishing, dock fishing, or renting one of our many options for boating, Lake Poway has it all! The lake even operates a Concessions Stand where you can pick up bait, tackle, fishing poles, and much more.
Lake Poway Fishing
- Bait, tackle, lake permits, and refreshments are available at the Lake Poway Concession.
- Fishing is permitted from Wednesday to Sunday. View our boat rental fees online.
- Please check our weekly fish report for fishing conditions, stocking dates and discounts.
- State fishing licenses are not required; however, Poway fishing permits are required.
- Year-round fishing is available for trout, bass, catfish, sunfish and bluegill.
- You can fish from the shoreline or from a rental boat.
Daily Fish Catch Limits
- Bass: 5 max, minimum of 12 inches
- Bluegill: 10 max
- Catfish: 5 max
- Sunfish: 10 max
- Trout: 4 max (no catch and release)
- A State of California Fishing License is no longer required to fish at Lake Poway.
- Dogs are not allowed in the boats or on the shoreline.
- Each angler is allowed to use a maximum of two rods.
- The trout limit is 4 trout.
- All anglers require a daily fishing permit to fish.
- Fishing permit must be carried at all times.
- Anglers must obey City of Poway Rules and Regulations.
- Fishing in the restricted area is prohibited.
- The use of corn for bait is prohibited.
- The use of Sport fish for bait is prohibited.
- Chumming of bait is prohibited.
- Each angler must have their own stringer.
- No catch and release of trout.
- Bass must be released if under 12 inches.
- No snagging of fish.
In order to protect the integrity of the Lake Poway and surrounding water systems the following restrictions are now in effect. The following items are prohibited at Lake Poway:
- Float tubes
- Private motors and anchors
- Live Bait Containers
- Fish Finders
- Floating Catch Baskets
- Live Bait (shiners, crawdads, etc.) from any source other than the Lake Poway Concession
- Any other items, determined by Staff, to be potential contaminants