On April 1, 2014, the City Council of the City of Poway declared a Level 1 Water Shortage Watch. Water customers are urged to use water wisely, and to use the following recommended water use efficiency measures listed in Poway Municipal Code chapter 8.94.040:
- Do not wash down paved surfaces, including but not limited to sidewalks, driveways, parking lots, tennis courts, or patios, except when necessary to alleviate safety or sanitation hazards.
- Do not allow water waste from inefficient landscape irrigation, such as runoff, low head drainage, or overspray and do not allow water flows onto non-targeted areas, such as adjacent property, non-irrigated areas, hardscapes, roadways, or structures.
- Irrigate residential and commercial landscape before 10:00 a.m. and after 6:00 p.m. only.
- Use only a hand-held hose equipped with a positive shut-off nozzle or bucket to water landscaped areas, including trees and shrubs located on residential and commercial properties that are not irrigated by a landscape irrigation system.
- Irrigate nursery and commercial grower’s products before 10:00 a.m. and after 6:00 p.m. only. Watering is permitted at any time using a hand-held hose equipped with a positive shut-off nozzle, a bucket, or when a drip/micro-irrigation system/equipment is used. Irrigation of nursery propagation beds is permitted at any time. Water for livestock is permitted at any time.
- Use only recirculated water to operate ornamental fountains.
- Wash vehicles only using a bucket and a hand-held hose with positive shut-off nozzle, mobile high pressure/low volume wash system, or at a commercial site that recirculates (reclaims) water on site. Do not wash vehicles during hot conditions when additional water is required due to evaporation.
- Offer guests in hotels, motels, and other commercial lodging establishments the option of not laundering towels and linens daily.
- Do not use single-pass cooling equipment in new commercial applications, including, but not limited to, air conditioners, air compressors, vacuum pumps, and ice machines.
- Use a water recirculation system for commercial conveyor car washes and all new commercial laundry systems.
- Run only fully loaded dishwashers and washing machines.
- Repair all water leaks within five days of notification by the City of Poway, unless other arrangements are made with the City Manager.
- Use recycled or non-potable water for construction purposes to the fullest extent possible when available.
- Reset irrigation clocks as necessary to water once per week in winter, and not more than three times per week in summer.
- Add water to maintain the level of water in swimming pools and spas only when necessary (to ensure proper operation of the pool filter). A cover shall be installed on all single-family residential pools and spas.
Serve and refill water in restaurants and other food service establishments only upon request.
Here are some links to more information for every type of water customer:
||Residential: Learn about available rebates, how to sign up for a FREE water use survey, how to check for leaks, or read about the personalized Water Consumption history report. |
||Landscaping: Find resources, tips, and ideas on how to convert your landscaping to a more California-friendly design. |
||Businesses: Are you a business owner trying to cut down on your water consumption? Learn about the different rebates offered, sign up for a FREE water use survey, or check out the different resources available. |
eGuide to a WaterSmart Lifestyle: 140-page magazine-style flip book with inspirational plant and garden photos, helpful videos, plant finders, interactive maps, and much more for the San Diego region.
||Water Conservation for Kids: Find out how to have fun doing crossword puzzles, reading comic books, playing online water smart games, and much more! |
Last updated: 4/3/2014 9:23:58 AM