|Nelson House Schedule|
|Saturday 10:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m. *|
|Sunday 11:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m. *|
|Closed Second Sunday of every Month |
|* Dependent upon volunteer availability |
June 27, 1883 Niles Nelson obtained the patent for this homestead. The home, which is now in the park, is not the home originally constructed in the late 1800s, but a later Nelson residence, which dates to the early twentieth century.
Mr. Nelson, who at one time served as trustee on the Poway School Board, died in 1921. In 1925, Helene Nelson, wife of the deceased and administrator of his estate, settled his final accounts. The farm was willed to the three Nelson children subject to a life estate of Helene Nelson. On October 2, 1930 the children Albert J., Oscar and Ida Nelson Stone, daughter, terminated the life tenancy of Helene Nelson, deceased.
In 1943 the farm was sold to H. W. Frame of Poway Ranch. The Frame family, Harry, Agnes and daughters Linda and Judy lived there from 1943 to 1956. The home served as a rental from 1956 to 1959. Leo and Meck Armstrong then purchased it. They lived there until 1980 and then rented it out until 1987 when it was sold to Sun Cal Development. In 1988 it was sold to Imperial 11, then again in 1988 sold to Robert H. Jackson. In 1990 it was sold to Bodan, Inc.
The City of Poway acquired the homestead, moved it from Garden Road to Old Poway Park, and in the fall of 1991 the City and the Historical Society agreed to the restoration of this house.